Thursday, March 10, 2011

Jack, Rose, Coffee

You had a tiny, silent
plate for a pear. Clean-white
as if from a tooth
at sea, dried in salt and sunlight.

Then you sliced the sweetest
one you kept in darkness
days
on days.
For only yourself you would have
bit too soon,
told yourself that ripeness
was not all.
But you could hold it from another,
almost hurtful
in witholding,
to serve a better fruit to a beloved.

Funny, love. It's a blending
of sources. Indeed
the throat can swallow
fire, the skin give way
to a noise of metal.
Both whisper away at the
sculpture of pure relation.
It is finally taking shape.

You, waiting,
waiting now as if born this way,
for the footsteps to appear.
Admit you might hear them first
and turn and spill yourself
into eyes, saving nothing,
even less
if you can.

3 comments:

yogacephalus said...

This one goes deep. Really deep.
So deep it came out of my cup of coffee this morning fully formed.

Reads like a network of vanishing points, each one as poignant and enigmatically active as the others.

Ahab Cloud said...

Funny story. I've been carrying this tiny pencil around with me for weeks. I kept it in the pocket of a shirt I wore every 6 or 7 days. When I put on the shirt and felt the pencil, I would say to myself, "there's a poem in this pencil." And there was.

yogacephalus said...

In that case I think you might want to buy a pack of tiny pencils and sneak one in the front pockets of all your shirts.

"The Pencil Shirt Poems"