Thursday, June 30, 2011

Empathy: A Dress Rehearsal w/ Market Research

My neighbor just pulled into his driveway.
He was about a quarter of the way through "Land Down Under."
I was reading an article about the fact that most websites are
designed with a masculine
aesthetic. I stopped reading when I realized that
my neighbor didn't cut his engine. Instead,
he had made the conscious choice to wait out
the song. In fact, he turned it up,
hotboxing himself with the music.

The masculine design aesthetic of most websites
doesn't jive with the fact that
more females than males
use websites for online shopping.
The designers can't change what, to them,
is inherent and intuitive. Even though they are
paid to check that kind of shit
at the door.

I get it. I really do. The personal
is even more powerful
than we want to imagine,
even in a commoditized world.

Which leads me to the waking dream
of what could possibly lead a man,
circa 2011,
to put off all the other things,
all the better things,
all the family things,
all the urgent and important things,
all the important but not urgent things,
all the chores and not chores,
all the fingerjabbing of life,
for this:

1 comment:

Little Filth Flower said...

The days of freedom and youth were in that song. It'd have been too cold and final for him to just cut it, the engine, the lights, the days of freedom and youth and Australian pop.