Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Many people are congenitally unable to appreciate the sight of a peacock. Once or twice I have been asked what the peacock is "good for"--a question which gets no answer from me because it deserves none. The telephone company sent a lineman out one day to repair our telephone. After the job was finished, the man, a large fellow with a suspicious expression half hidden by a yellow helmet, continued to idle about, trying to coax a cock that had been watching him to strut. He wished to add this exprerience to a large number of others he had apparently had. "Come on now, bud," he said, "get the show on the road, upsy-daisy, come on now, snap it up."

The peacock, of course, paid no attention to this.

"What ails him?" the man said.

"Nothing ails him, I said. "He'll pull it up terreckly. All you have to do is wait."

1 comment:

Ahab Cloud said...

Flannery
O'Connor

from an essay called

"The King of the Birds"

that I found'n

Mariani's _God

&

the Imagination_.

Thanks for the birthday

call. I'll send it

back around

soon.

Finally wrote a poem

that

broke the

skin of

whatever

orange I'm

digging inta.