Friday, October 1, 2010

Am listening

to Dollar Brand's African Piano.

My recording's probably not nearly as nice, I acknowledge,
as the record
you hear it from
in a certain company, chopping onions maybe,
or washing dishes drinking coffee

with the kind of attention
and relation
you've worked so hard
to sculpt . . .

Regardless, my goodness!

It makes me crazy
with joy
all the things I do not know.

***

On an Overgrown Path

Peter Dickinson asked,
"Do you mean more attuned to somebody's spiritual development?"

John Cage replied "All
of that - more possible to live affirmatively if you find
the sound of the environment beautiful.

***

Irish musicians had a contest of heroes and the question was,

'What is the most beautiful sound?'

The one who won the contest said the most beautiful sound
is the sound of what happens"

***

and I would add
"to be shared."

Dear Friday night,

Bring out the stars
that need polishing.

1 comment:

yogacephalus said...

Says the Irish pianist:

"True, we did play that kind of tune once,

long ago."

(pause)

"But one thing.

Do the stars need polishing so much, meh lad,

if they're already there?