Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Untitled Southern Hunger [working draft]

Anna and I made that oath beneath trees. Pinnacle
of July, 7th year, cicadas. Ousting everyone's memory of them
to hike root and bark, fuck, then drip twitching in

a fluency, a sound I could hear beyond the clatch
and hum, and almost follow. “Osteoblast,” my friend
said, “a blooming nothing,” and it would take a while to settle.

Afraid to point to the problem that functions
like a mutual mind, I let it think. And it did.
And my courage became a climb from soon to past

and my marriage became a kind of ruined glass
shivering whatever was beyond it, whatever it
could not hush down into embers.

Beating the Sky Way out of Johannesburg, I headed
where my wife wasn't. Straight towards her.
One shade. Erratum. The great American arboretum.

And then, for me, transience stopped. I hung on
like rock, like time itself. The day’s light opined
a place where numbers failed me. No addition. No subtraction.

This was in Peoria, not Pretoria, so the blooms, though
alien, were Midwestern. Hidden in the science of
each was a generative grammar, Latin. Mimosifolia. Always

when pitching for humility, for grace,
they told me
hold [______________] in your deepest pocket,

so when they put out my
eyes I'll see
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/BlueJacarandaFlowers.jpg

3 comments:

Ahab Cloud said...

You can take the first shot at editing this... It shows promise, I think.

Huge letdown today--a product of your departure and the end, for a while, of good conversation on my end.

yogacephalus said...

I'll make sure to print out a copy of this and play with it on my drive down to the Upland South. Title appropriate for departure (Untitled Hungers).

As for your huge letdown. Do you mean you won't be able to keep in touch for a little while? Do to busyness I assume. Oh well. Last night I informed Ralph Sneeden that he might very well be some kind of genius. Et tu, mon cloud. Keep in there.

Ahab Cloud said...

I'll be able to keep in touch. My busy-ness is quickly subsiding, thank god. I just feel a bit underwhelmed and underinspired, and I'm relating this to the fact that we had such a good visit.