Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Under the eyes of the placid hermit, comfortably established at the edge of the road, under the glance of this man, who calmly prepared himself by an untroubled life without care nor suffering for a blissful eternity, flowed the changefully coloured current of travellers, vagabonds, wayfarers, and wanderers. His benediction rewarded the generous passer; the hard look of the austere man did not suffice to disturb the blessed indifference. The life of others might rapidly consume, burnt by the sun, gnawed by care; his own endured in the shade of the trees, and continued without hurt, lulled by the rustle of human passions.

3 comments:

Ahab Cloud said...

Page 142 - 143.

_English Wayfaring Life in the Middle Ages XIVth Century_

J.J. Jusserand

yogacephalus said...

Note: I might be interesting to read this in light of the post I made on Sept 9th.

Also, I have a suggestion on how you can vary up your nickname, if you get tired of it: The Ahab Of Unknowing.

Ahab Cloud said...

Yes, these things are slowly circling each other, like anti-vultures that come down and chew out the eyes of the dead and make them live again.

One day, I was thinking, we should take a 24 hour walk. Too bad we can't do it this fall. The weather is getting almost unbearably good.

I found my phone, so I'll give you a buzz soon. Said the bourbon to the blind man.