Tuesday, September 4, 2007

R.I.P. SHYKU

At least for me anyway.

The reason is simple: I've been writing from a different angle lately and have ceased to think in shyku. No more perspectival shifts, semantic mutations, winks and feints, etc. The quasi-mysterious thing--and maybe you'll have some opinions on this--is how the impulse to write shyku left me almost immediately as summer ended and school started.

As for what we should do now, I suggest we post excerpts from whatever we're reading. Except, and here's the thing, we should try to make each passage follow the one that preceded it so in the long run they form a kind of gradually improvised supercollage. Our Fall project. What should we call it?

My suggestion: "THE BOOK OF TALLEST WEATHER".

3 comments:

yogacephalus said...

Or: "THE ROOK OF TALLEST WEATHER"

Much better.

yogacephalus said...

Or maybe instead of aspiring for some kind of direct linearity we should try to make the quotes play off each other associatively. Though the approach is more conventional, it also seems more feasible.

Ahab Cloud said...

The start of school is always the start of something new--and the time for a fresh take on work. For me, too, the changing seasons call for a difference. So, I say, let's let it rip.

The Rook of Tallest Weather should be a collection of quotes that proceed in an associative and/or directly linear fashion. (So, both...)

I'll fire something off.

Sorry for all the talk of ripping and firing. You can tell I'm back in the realm of management.